I'm Tamera Goldsmith, a portrait and wedding photographer based in Colorado Springs and serving the Front Range: the Springs, Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins, Pueblo and the world. I specialize in wedding photojournalism and creative lifestyle portraiture, including maternity, babies, children, families and high school senior portraits. Thanks for visiting!



Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy 2008!


To all my family, friends and clients, I wish you a happy and prosperous 2008! What are your resolutions for this brand new year? I don't scoff at New Year's resolutions, I take the idea of a fresh start to heart. I make a couple of realistic promises to myself and try hard to live up to them. In past years I've resolved to make the bed every day, tidy up my office, remember everyone's birthday... I've had varying results as I'm sure everyone else does with their resolutions, but I always do my best.

This year my personal resolutions include:

1. Ride a horse. I've never been on a horse in my life, save a brief pony ride at age five. Pat's Christmas present to me will go a long way toward realizing this goal (he gave me riding lessons!).
2. Wear makeup more often. Those of you who know me are aware that I rarely wear makeup unless I'm meeting with a client or shooting a wedding -- yet I always feel prettier and more confident with makeup on, so why don't I do it more often? So my resolution is to wear makeup once a week, unprovoked!
3. Simplify, simplify, simplify. I make this vow every year and I try very hard to live up to it. I continue to live by this mantra but for a natural packrat/detail oriented person it's really difficult, so I'll continue to work on it in 2008.
4. Choose one: pilates or yoga, and stick to it. I found that I've become pretty sedentary in the last 8 to 10 months (chained to this desk!), so doing some form of muscle-building exercise regularly will do me a world of good. I have no illusions of looking like Jessica Alba but it would be nice to see a little muscle tone.
5. Help the less fortunate by either doing a micro loan or sponsoring a child in a third world country. Info on these worthy pursuits can be found here and here. I struggle a lot with all the misery I see in the world, but instead of getting depressed about it I've decided to do what I can to help. Even if it's not much, every little bit counts. Sometimes we forget how lucky we are to live in this country and have all these great advantages. I want to help.

I think that's enough for one year! As for my business, as always I'm committed to staying focused (no pun intended) and continuing to grow. I just took the "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" self test (http://www.franklincovey.com/downloads/7_Habits_Profile.pdf ) and am now painfully aware of the areas where need work! I highly recommend that you take the test too. I think it's best to start at the root of things. The test is now stuck to the wall next to my desk, the two problem areas circled in big bold Sharpie ink, so any time I get stuck I can look up and see what I need to do inside my head to get where I'm going.

Again, HAPPY NEW YEAR to each and every one of you! I wish you well! I'm looking forward to all the great things coming in 2008!

Tamera

[P.S. That picture is not Baby New Year, it's me at age 15 months wearing my mom's spike heeled pumps. Although if you like to think of it as Baby New Year be my guest. Hopefully I won't be in diapers again any time soon.]

2 comments:

Kim J said...

Tamera, good luck on your quest to simplify. I try to get rid of three things every day. Also, if I buy a new article of clothing, I force myself to get rid of something. By the way, I love the photo of you at 15 months. I had seen it a long time ago and thought it was as cute as ever (and I still do).

Anonymous said...

I remember this picture! You're soo cute, Tammy. Who would believe that now you're this accomplished, talented photog- rapher, an artist with heart, and an amazing awareness of the world around us. I'm glad that we can somehow see this world through your eyes, through your beautiful photographs. --Auntie Linda