I'm Tamera Goldsmith, a portrait and wedding photographer based in Colorado Springs and serving the Front Range: the Springs, Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins, Pueblo and the world. I specialize in wedding photojournalism and creative lifestyle portraiture, including maternity, babies, children, families and high school senior portraits. Thanks for visiting!



Sunday, November 11, 2007

Europe Day 6


This is stupid. A year ago I was in Europe with Pat, my brother Chuck, and Pat's brother Gene, having the time of our lives. We got home exactly one year ago tomorrow. Or maybe it was two days from now. Anyway, when we got home I found that I had shot a little over 1,200 pictures on our trip, and I vowed to have them all edited and blogged within a few weeks of coming home. Ha! Anyone who reads this blog with any regularity can tell you that I totally bailed on the whole process because I was too wrapped up in taking care of my other obligations. So somewhere around "Europe Day 5" I stalled out, and by then it had been months since our trip anyway. (Not that it's any excuse.)

Let's put this into perspective: 1,200 pictures isn't really THAT much. I take almost that many at a big wedding. Okay, maybe that's two average weddings' worth of editing, give or take. I don't know why I had such a mental block, but I'm here to tell you that the procrastinating stops now! Here is my solemn vow to you, loyal readers (of which I hope there actually are some): I am not going to blog ANY OTHER PICTURES until I'm finished blogging my Europe pictures! Just to prove it to you, here is Day 6:

Our sixth day was "sibling day." We started out as a group, all four of us, to see the Cutty Sark and the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich. The Cutty Sark was a really big deal for Gene, who's a maritime history buff. I thought it was pretty cool too, but Gene was seriously in awe. I must say it was beautiful! It was unfortunately undergoing restoration while we were there, meaning it was behind a big chain link fence and we couldn't get up close, but I did get a few decent snapshots of it. What really freaked me out was the guy way up the mast, hanging there repairing something or other. If it's that scary in dry dock imagine what it must have been like in a rolling sea. The sad thing about the Cutty Sark is that it was massively damaged in a horrible fire this past May. They are now trying to restore it but from what I heard it is in a pretty sad state. They'll have to start from practically zero.

After the Cutty Sark we spent a couple of hours at the Maritime Museum. Gene, Chuck and Pat found this place to be utterly fascinating. I have never really paid much attention to maritime history, but I kept an open mind and learned a lot. I was especially impressed with all the Admiral Nelson artifacts they had on display. They even had the uniform he was wearing when he was fatally shot. Holy cow! For those of you who don't know who Admiral Nelson is, he's like Britain's version of George Washington -- he's a huge hero. I looked him up after we got home and I learned that he was a brilliant military tactition and saved Britain from invasion. If not for him, everyone in England would be speaking French now. Or Spanish.

Thereafter we split up by family tree: Pat and Gene took off to find what used to be called "Sex" -- Vivienne Westwood's infamous boutique in the King's Road that sold punk fashions in the 70's, where John Lydon and Sid Vicious hung out. I think it's called World's End now. I really wanted to see it too, but instead I teamed up with Chuck to visit the Imperial War Museum. We had a heck of a time trying to find the place but eventually we stumbled upon it. Good grief, I didn't realize how many wars England has been involved in! It's crazy! Any war artifact you ever want to see is there. Chuck got way more out of this than I did, since he's such a big military/war buff. I just tagged along as the dutiful sister (although I admit it was interesting and I learned a few things -- the Enigma machine was especially cool). I should mention that the Imperial War Museum is housed in what used to be Bethlehem, the infamous insane asylum. Eek! Talk about creepy!

After that Chuck and I pretty much got utterly lost (again), walking around in circles trying to find the right tube station. We snuck in a few minutes of shopping at H&M and Top Shop (yaaaay!!! bought some super cool clothes), then we had to make a mad dash for the train station to meet Pat and Gene. The train stations in London are funny: every few minutes there is a soothingly robotic female voice that announces over the loudspeaker, "Please mind the gap." Meaning, don't be an idiot and break your leg while stepping onto the train. The announcement repeats endlessly and very politely. How very British.


If you want to read about days one through five, here are the links going WAY back in my blog's history...

Day 1: http://click-photography.blogspot.com/2007/01/europe-day-1.html
Day 2: http://click-photography.blogspot.com/2007/01/europe-day-2.html
Day 3: http://click-photography.blogspot.com/2007/01/europe-day-3.html
Day 4: http://click-photography.blogspot.com/2007/02/europe-day-4.html
Day 5: http://click-photography.blogspot.com/2007/05/europe-day-5.html


Edenbridge Town station, one of the two stations where we caught the train in the mornings to go into London


Looking up at a really cool bridge in Chelsea

A mossy tree trunk in Chelsea. If you think it's funny that I took pictures of stuff like this, come to Colorado and see how NOT green and mossy this place is.

The tube


Not that this is an award winning picture or anything, but I had to blog it because I just cannot wrap my brain around some of the food in England.


The beautiful Cutty Sark


Ha! Here is your proof that I went to England! And it only smelled mildly of piss in there.

Chuck modeling the latest in gigantic anchors at the Maritime Museum

Typical London windowsill. Flowers even in November.

The Imperial War Museum

Lest you should forget that you are about to enter the War Museum, they have kindly placed a pair of gigantic cannons in the front yard to jog your memory.

Ah yes, mind the bloody gap!

No comments: