I'm Tamera Goldsmith, a portrait and wedding photographer based in Colorado Springs and serving the Front Range: the Springs, Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins, Pueblo and the world. I specialize in wedding photojournalism and creative lifestyle portraiture, including maternity, babies, children, families and high school senior portraits. Thanks for visiting!



Friday, September 14, 2007

What's on your desert island list?

I love music. I can't live even a single day without listening to at least the radio. I have a vast record collection (yes, vinyl), a vast CD collection, and am quickly amassing a vast i-Tunes collection on my PC. I go to concerts as much as possible, time and budget permitting (and sometimes budget be damned). Some shows I've seen in the last year or two include, not necessarily in this order: Weird Al Yankovic, Iggy and the Stooges, the Police, Gary Numan, the Strokes, DEVO, Gang of Four, Bauhaus, Parliament and oh jeez there are more but I can't think (FYI the above list doesn't include the 2005 Coachella Music Festival -- over 90 bands in two days, including the Chemical Brothers, Coldplay, Nine Inch Nails, Weezer...). Anyway, everyone has their own "desert island" list, the albums they must have no matter what. I have a list too, which has been pretty consistent over the years. I put some thought into it today because a Fleetwood Mac song came on the radio and Pat was kind of surprised to hear me say that Rumours was on my desert island list. So I pondered a little and tried to really pin down my list, and here is what I came up with. [Note: I only listed one Beatles album and one Talking Heads album, or else it would have been all Beatles and Talking Heads.] Here, in no particular order, are the albums I cannot live without:

The Beatles -- Abbey Road
Talking Heads -- Speaking in Tongues
The Style Council -- My Ever Changing Moods
The Sex Pistols -- Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols
The Smiths -- Hatful of Hollow
The soundtrack to the Sound of Music
Gang of Four -- Entertainment!
Blondie -- Parallel Lines

Duran Duran -- Duran Duran (or Decade, or Notorious -- a three way tie)
Morphine -- Cure for Pain

Rufus Wainwright -- Poses
Dwight Yoakum -- Guitars, Cadillacs

The English Beat -- Special Beat Service
Coldplay -- X & Y
The Jam -- Snap!
Franz Ferdinand -- You Could Have It So Much Better
The Clash -- London Calling (a close second is Combat Rock)
Scritti Politti -- Cupid & Psyche '85 (an absolutely perfect pop album)
The Sundays -- Reading, Writing and Arithmetic
Fleetwood Mac -- Rumours

The GoGo's -- Beauty and the Beat
Steely Dan -- Aja
Let's Active -- Big Plans for Everyone
REM -- Fables of the Reconstruction (it's tough picking only one REM album)
Big Black -- Atomizer (simply for the song Kerosene -- vicious guitar attack)
Smashing Pumpkins -- Siamese Dream
Depeche Mode -- Construction Time Again

The Police -- Outlandos d'Amour
David Bowie -- Hunky Dory

What's on your list? Leave me a comment with your favorites! (And please ignore the following link.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great List! Some of mine---U2,Achtung,Baby!---Original Soundtrack, Cat People---Public Enemy, Power To The People And The Beats---Cowboy Junkies, The Trinity Sessions and lots and lotsa Bob Marley : )

Tamera said...

The Cowboy Junkies, what a great album! It's perfect!

I forgot to put the Police/Outlandos d'Amour and David Bowie/Hunky Dory, so I just now added them to the bottom of my list.

Tamera

chuck said...

My list: Blondie - Parallel Lines, Revolver, Police - Regatta de Blanc, Moby - 18, Blur - Blur, New Order - Substance, Soundtrack - Saturday Night Fever, Haircut 100 - Pelican West, Dee-Lite - World Clique, Donald Fagen - The Nightfly, Jesus & Mary Chain - Automatic, Queen - Night at the Opera, Bowie - ChangesBowie

Anonymous said...

Knowing that the Goldsmith twins would be bringing some of her favorites already, Jennifer opts to load these on her ipod (along with a lot of other newer stuff!):

Joe Jackson - Night and Day
The Complete Tom Jones
Orb - UFOrb
Elton John
George Michael - Faith
Elvis Costello - lots
Trash Can Sinatras - Cake
Crowded House
Robert Palmer - Addictions
REM - Reckoning
INXS - The Swing
ABC - How to Be A Zillionaire!
Van Halen
Yaz - Upstairs at Eric's
Prince - Greatest Hits
James Brown - Out of Sight!
50 Years of Tito Puente
Cibo Matto - Viva La Woman
Depeche Mode - all of it
Thomas Dolby - Aliens Ate My Buick
Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden
The Cure - Faith / Carnage Visors
Front 242 - Back Catalogue
Cabaret Voltaire - the Arm of the Lord
Mighty Lemon Drops - Out Of Hand
Echo and the Bunnymen - Ocean Rain

Anonymous said...

I have to admit, Tammy, that I actually don't like albums. Even an artist who produces a song that I really love will as often as not follow it up on the album with a song that I really can't stand. If I were stranded on a desert island I'd much rather have my collection of compilation tapes than any albums. Nevertheless, I've compiled a list here of my favourite albums -- not so much those albums which include the music I love, but those with a minimum of the music I hate:

The Symphony of the Planets -- Gustav Holtz
Spiritchaser -- Dead Can Dance
Boomerang -- The Creatures
The Sensual World -- Kate Bush(prompting Tammy to hope that she and I are not stranded on the same desert island!)
Soul Mining -- the The
The Hurting -- Tears for Fears
Ghost in the Machine -- The Police
Filigree and Shadow -- This Mortal Coil (their other album, It'll
End In Tears, almost made the cut except that it includes the song "Not Me," which I think is one of the worst songs ever written.)
The Golden Age of Wireless -- Thomas Dolby
Wha'appen? -- English Beat
Rei Momo -- David Byrne
Rumours -- Fleetwood Mac
Touch -- Eurhythmics

And that's about it. Recently I decided that my favourite song ever written was 'Oman' by Dead Can Dance, and yet I don't even have the album! Just a recording
of the individual song on one of my compilation tapes. You may love music, Tammy -- I merely like it.

Russell

Anonymous said...

Oh, I don't know if I'm allowed to make late entries -- but if I am I'd also like to have the Birds of Passage album by Bel Canto and also the soundtrack to Rumble Fish by Stewart Copeland. Oh, speaking of soundtracks I'd like Peter Gabriel's 'Passion,' too (it was the soundtrack to The Last Temptation of Christ.) Russell

Anonymous said...

Oh, and Tuba City by Bim Skala Bim. And that's really really the very very last one...! Russell