I'm Tamera Goldsmith, a portrait and wedding photographer based in Colorado Springs and serving the Front Range: the Springs, Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins, Pueblo and the world. I specialize in wedding photojournalism and creative lifestyle portraiture, including maternity, babies, children, families and high school senior portraits. Thanks for visiting!



Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The Babers

Today we're having a blizzard! The interstate's closed southward all the way to New Mexico and northward all the way to Wyoming. It's a good day to stay home and blog something. Last Saturday (December 16th) my neighbors Helen and Lloyd Baber asked me over to take some family pictures. I've always wanted to photograph the Babers because I love how Mr. Baber, who is 87 years old, sits on the porch all day with his straw hat and watches the cars go by. My house was built in 1958 and their house is a couple of years older than mine, and they've owned it since it was new. It's always as neat as a pin, inside and out. When I first bought my house nine years ago, Mrs. Baber was one of the first people to drop by and welcome me to the neighborhood. On picture day I walked over to their house and they had their daughter Judy and her husband, plus granddaughter Jessica and her husband and toddler ready and waiting. So it was a full house! They were all pretty committed to the idea of look-at-the-camera-and-smile type of portraits, and Owen (the 20 month old) was in a tetchy mood so it was a little challenging, but I'm always happy to oblige. You have to be patient with toddlers. They generally have no clue what's going on, so it's pointless to try and force them into cooperating. At one point they had me singing the "Witch Doctor" song to get Owen to laugh (you know, "oo ee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang"). I'll do just about anything for my craft but I must say that's the first time I've ever had to SING for a picture! Unfortunately my singing seemed to make him cry rather than laugh! Oh well. I did manage to sneak in a few candid moments too, in between the posed stuff. Mr. and Mrs. Baber will celebrate their 60th (!!!) wedding anniversary in a few months and they wanted a portrait of just them in addition to the group shots. I took them outside onto the porch for that, since Mr. Baber likes it out there so much. It's not a very formal portrait but I think it's nice. It shows the love and affection they still have for each other after all these years. You can see the Christmas decorations behind Mrs. Baber's head. They such sweet neighbors. Maybe I'll run over there with a camera some other time soon and get some less posed stuff.

I love this picture of Owen. For some reason I find it hilarious.

Judy and her grandson.

Playing is such serious work.

Lloyd Baber and his great-grandson. There is an 85 year age difference on this couch!

I love taking pictures of people's stuff. Mr. Baber is a WWII vet. Here's his portrait along with Helen's, from years ago.

Some of Mr. Baber's military memorabilia and decorations he received during the war.

No comments: